Thursday, March 6, 2008

Brett Favre's Retirement

Almost everyone who sees me is asking what I think about Brett Favre's retirement. They wonder if I am in mourning, or whether I think that the Packers have a chance next year. Here are my thoughts:
  • For the last 5 years Vikings fans have been telling me that Favre is a washed-up has-been. So why do they think the Pack will be worse off without him?
  • Was that a collective sigh of relief I heard from the defenses of 29 NFL teams?
  • Or was that a gasp...about thinking that they are going to have to trash all of their Packer game films...and that they have no idea what the Packers are going to do next year? It's hard to play defense when you don't have a clue.
  • Consider this: Brett Favre has started every game for the Packers since my oldest son was born. He is a junior in high school. Brett Favre has been playing quarterback for the Pack since some of his teammates were in kindergarten.
  • What do Kurt Warner and Matt Hasselback have in common? Oh, yeah, they were Favre's understudies with the Packers. Aaron Rodgers is going to be just fine. So will the Pack.
  • The Packers almost went to the Super Bowl last year because of coaching. That's right, coaching. The Packers looked at what they had and put together a creative and innovative scheme that tore up the NFL. I'm sure that McCarthy and company will do the same this year. In fact, I'm sure they already have a plan in place.
  • The Packers are going to be better next year than they were this year. I predict a 1st place finish in the NFC North. After all, look who the other teams in the division are!
Here's an interesting item of trivia for you to research: What is the one NFL team that Brett Farve has never beat?

Leave a comment if you know, otherwise I'll tell you all on Sunday.

No comments: