Friday, August 10, 2007

Why I Run

I am a runner. It's a strange breed, not normally seen on northern Minnesota's Iron Range. So why do I run? Certainly it isn't because I am fast. In fact, I was usually a back of the pack runner in school. No one would ever ask me to be on the track team. Nor is it because running is a highly social sport. I rarely see other runners out running. It's not in an attempt to be part of the in-crowd. Most of my friends think I am a little nuts. So why do I run? There are several reasons:
  • A healthy lifestyle. Both my father and his father died at a relatively young age from heart attacks. Both of them were smokers and lived sedentary lifestyles. An occasional walk around the block was the limit of their exercise program. By keeping active and trying to keep the weight off, I am trying to outlive my ancestors who shortened their lives by unhealthy lifestyles.
  • Physical fitness. I suppose that some people would think that being a pastor is a relatively sedentary life, but I find that there are times of tremendous physical, spiritual and emotional exertion. For example, studies have shown that preaching a sermon requires an effort equivalent to working a physical job for eight hours. I don't know if that is true, but I do know that during the years that I stopped running and put on a few pounds preaching became exhausting work. Now that I am more physically fit, I find preaching to be less draining.
  • Leadership. We live in an era of excess. All of our meals are super-sized and we don't even have to walk across the room to change the channel. Obesity is a major problem. Diabetes, hypertension and heart problems all stem from a lifestyle that way out of balance. Perhaps by setting an example I can inspire others toward a more healthy and more fun lifestyle.
  • Endorphins! Believe it or not, there really is a "runner's high." It's not something you encounter on your first run. Your first run consists of gasping for air, sore muscles and a side stitch. But once you have achieved a degree of physical fitness and can run a long ways with minimal strain, you discover the exhilarating euphoric effect of endorphins. It really is hard to describe what this zone feels like but it is wonderful.
  • A time to think. When you are out running there are few distractions and it gives a person a chance to think about things. Sometimes I will meditate on a Bible passage. Other times I will be thinking about some situation that I am dealing with. Usually I just enjoy being in the outdoors.
  • Discipline. There is value in living a disciplined life and forcing yourself to do something that is a little uncomfortable. I've run three marathons and I can tell you that the hardest part of running 26.2 miles is not hitting "the wall" at 20 miles. The hardest part of running a marathon is getting out of bed in the morning...every morning...getting your shoes on and doing your training runs.
  • A Love of Athletic Competition. I enjoy being around athletes. One of the great things about road racing is that 99% of the runners are not expecting to actually win the race. That is reserved for an elite few. Instead most runners are seeking to beat their own personal record. That means that before the race they have put in the grueling efforts to train. During the race it means knowing what pace you can reasonably keep up. And yes, it means taking aim at that person up ahead and trying to beat them to the finish line. You might not win the race, but you can still beat that runner and perhaps set a personal record. Not only that, there is a camaraderie among runners on race day that is a lot of fun.
  • A sense of accomplishment. There are few things better than setting out to achieve a big audacious goal that will require enormous effort and accomplishing it. Every marathon I've finished and every personal record I've beat has brought tears of joy to my eyes.
  • It's God's will for me. Perhaps the major reason I run, though, is that I sense that it is a part of God's plan for my life. In the movie Chariots of Fire there is the line, "When I run, I feel His pleasure." That's certainly true for me as well. It's one of the reasons that I unashamedly make running a part of my routine. I want His will for my life. Right now running is a part of that.
Years ago I cut out a Nike ad and tacked it to the bulletin board above my desk. It's still true today.

He's fat
and he's soft
and he's wearing your clothes
and he was born on your birthday
and you are afraid if you stop running
he'll catch up with you.
Just do it.

1 comment:

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Wonderful post! I hadn't seen that Nike ad - it is a keeper.
Amy
http://blog.runnerslounge.com