Monday, October 1, 2007

2 Corinthians Begins...

This week we start a new sermon series. As most of you know, when we start going through a book we are going to be at it for a while, so its a pretty big decision. I spend alot of time praying and seeking God for a sense of direction. As I've done that this time around I've found myself settling on 2nd Corinthians.

Why this book?

To begin with, I have to say that each book we've gone through has been a bit of an adventure for me. I've started with a sense of what God wanted to teach us, but have been amazed at the direction He takes us as we study the book together. The work He does is always far beyond anything I could have planned. It always blows me away when the text we are looking it on a particular Sunday matches either what we are going through as a church or what someone is dealing with in their life at the moment. So when I look at the the "reasons for doing a particular book" I have to admit that I don't have much of a clue what God is going to do when we start.

At the same time, 2 Corinthians has a lot of stuff that's pretty relevant for where we are at these days.
  • Paul shares his passion for sharing the gospel...and isn't afraid to talk about the cost.
  • Paul calls people to an undivided walk with Jesus.
  • Paul talks about generosity and its rewards.
  • Paul shares details of the spiritual battles he's been through and is currently fighting.
  • Paul reminds us that it is when we are weak that God's strength shines strongest.
  • Paul teaches about the importance of personal integrity.
  • Paul talks about the love that binds us together as a church.

I could go on, but would rather encourage you to read through 2 Corinthians on your own. It's a great book and I can't wait to dig in!

No comments: