Saturday, December 15, 2007

A New Building

I walked around the new church building this morning. It was Saturday, so the workers were gone and I had the place to myself. What an incredible experience. The holes for the windows are framed. The doorways are framed. I could picture the Sanctuary completed and could almost smell the coffee brewing in the kitchen.

I would have stayed longer, but it was cold. Ten minutes of walking around was enough for me before I retreated to the warmth of my car.

But then I thought for a moment about the workers who have been out working on the building for the last several weeks. The temperatures have been bitterly cold. The wind on the top of the hill never stops blowing. "Fun" and "exciting" are probably not words that the carpenters are using for describe their days when they get home at night. Sure, its rewarding to see the progress being made, but there is a discipline involved in "getting it done."

I think that's true of ministry as well. There are a lot of people who enjoy a warm building, but fewer that are willing to do the work of erecting one in the winter. There are many people who would love to see people find Christ, but fewer that are willing to do the work of building relationships and sharing the gospel. It can be hard work trying to reach those who are far from God. Discipling them is rewarding, but demanding.

Sometimes I want things to be easy. I want to take the path of least resistance. I want to be entertained. I want church to be "fun" and "exciting." When it isn't I wonder why.

It struck me that God is looking for the types of people who are willing to get out in the cold and do the difficult and demanding work of building the church (which is people and not a building). They don't demand that every moment be "fun" or "exciting". Instead, they know the call of God and are doing it, regardless of what it might cost them or the pain it they might experience.

Those who are simply looking to be comfortable and to be catered to are not going to qualify for the blessing that God wants to impart to those who are willing to step out in obedience to do the radical work of building the church. No, the Lord is calling us to be a part of something greater than being entertained. God is calling is to be a part of building something for His glory. Again, I'm not talking about a physical building, but a spiritual house made up of living stones.

That's what I want to be a part of building.

How about you?

No comments: