Thursday, December 6, 2007

What's the Plan?

December is here and the 2007 calendar is almost used up. Last year I decided that I was going to attempt to read through the Bible in a year. For the first time in my life, I think I am actually going to accomplish the feat. I usually get bogged down after a few weeks, fall hopelessly behind and give up. I don't stop reading, but the "get through the Bible in year" usually doesn't work for me.

Now I am trying to decide what to do with 2008. I know one pastor who reads through the Bible one year, and then studies a Biblical theme the next year. This year he is studying the term "bless/blessed/blessing." He's gained a lot of insight from this approach, but I'm still wondering what I should do. Here are some of my ideas:
  • Meditate on the life of Christ in the gospels. Simply slowly read through the four gospels again and again...spending time with Jesus.
  • Memorize the book of Colossians. I've done other books before, and its a great way to go deeper in a book of the Bible.
  • Read through the Old Testament in a year. Meditate on various New Testament books.
  • Meditate on passages related to the various fruits of the Spirit found in Galatians 5 (love, joy, peace, etc.).
  • Meditate on passages related to how we are to treat each other (love one another, bear one another's burdens, etc.).

I'm not sure what I am going to do next year. But I know that having a plan helps. It gives direction and a sense of purpose to my devotional life. At the same time, I want it to be God's plan for me. So I am holding these things up before him and suspect that as the days of December wind down, there will be some clear direction from Him.

What's your plan?

No comments: