Thursday, December 6, 2007

Treasure in Jars of Clay

One of the things that I am constantly aware of as I study 2nd Corinthians is that Paul's perspective on life is radically different than mine tends to be. His is healthier. His is sustainable.

For example, Paul talks about the ministry in terms that make some sense to me. He calls us the "aroma of Christ" and says that we "reflect the Lord's glory." It is easy for me to think about trying to "shine my light" when things are going well.

But then Paul talks about having this treasure in "jars of clay" (2 Corinthians 4:7). That the weakness, troubles and problems of life are part of the deal. In fact, sometimes the trials come so that it can be more plainly seen that it is God who is working in our lives. The confidence we have knowing that God is in control dazzles people without Him. When tragedy strikes and we truly find our comfort in God, his presence shines through us. When the job is lost and we rely on God for our provision and he meets our needs, his hand is most clearly seen.

Sometimes people wonder why the difficulties of life come their way. Could it be that in the midst of the the troubles God wants to shine our light the brightest? No one notices the light of the lighthouse during the day. But when the wind is howling and darkness has fallen, then the light penetrates the darkness and points the way home. Could the storms of life be designed by God so that your light will have the greatest impact?

I'm not saying that God wants us to suffer, rather that in the final scheme of things the suffering that we go through here is momentary in comparison to the joys of eternity. Could it be that God allows us to go through trials in part so that others may see that He is at work in our lives? When the trials come, isn't it best for us to continue to look to Him...and to let others see that we have an "invisible means of support"? Sure it is.

Thinking this way helps me deal with the troubles that come my way. I try to look at the problems and pray, "Lord, let me shine for you through this." And usually he helps me to keep bobbing on the surface of the water during the storm. Sometimes, though, it feels like I'm going under and I wonder what's going on. In Paul's terms I feel "hard pressed and perplexed" (2 Corinthians 4:8). In the midst of it though, God truly is in control. I'm learning that I can trust in him. And even when I'm wondering where He is and feel like I am going under He is using me to shine His light to others.

No comments: