Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Favorite Books

Sometimes people ask me how I manage to grow in my Christian life without going to church and hearing a sermon every week. In reality they are asking, "Who feeds the pastor?" The short answer is that I read a lot of books.

I've added a list of my favorite books to my blog. In addition to the Bible, these books have had a tremendous influence on my life. I reread each of them every couple of years because their message is so important. I'd encourage you to read them as well.

But first, a word of warning: These books are not "Christian-lite." They are not trendy. They may not be on the bookshelves of many Christian bookstores so you will have to order them. A few are easy reads, but most are pretty tough sledding. They are all transforming.

The two "easiest" books are Is That Really You, God and Rees Howells: Intercessor. Is That Really You, God? is the story of the birth and development of Youth With A Mission. Rees Howells is the biography of a Welsh coal miner who was mightily used by God in prayer.

A.W. Tozer's The Pursuit of God is a classic on the inner life of the Christian. All of Tozer's work is good, but if there is only one of his books that you are going to read, this is the one to pick.

Joy Dawson, a teacher with YWAM, has written to excellent books. Intimate Friendship With God is about understanding the fear of the Lord. Forever Ruined for the Ordinary deals with hearing the voice of God. Both of these books are relatively easy to read.

A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life is just that...serious. Written by Puritan William Law, this book will shake you out of your complacency and move you toward following God more closely. An online version is available on the Christian Classics Ethereal Library website.

Charles Finney is one of the most influential Christians in American history. He popularized the "altar call." The revivals sparked by his ministry changed the course of America by leading to the abolition of slavery. His autobiography is a great read, but the place to start is Revival Lectures.

Andrew Murray has written many books on prayer that are worth reading. My favorite is The Ministry of Intercessory Prayer.

The writings of Leonard Ravenhill are white-hot with passion for Christ and his church. On the right day, his writings stir me like few others. Why Revival Tarries is a classic. While some of the illustrations could be updated, its message is as current as an internet news site.

The Chinese author Watchman Nee has written a great book in The Normal Christian Life. If only more Christians were experiencing it!

Happy reading!



2 comments:

Paul said...

Perhaps there is a member at one of those churches that you didn't need that needed your encouragement and missed it because you weren't there.

Pastor Karl said...

Perhaps I was a bit unclear...it's not that I don't go to church...it's that I'm the one that does the preaching! Sometimes people wonder who looks after me. The fact is that I have a wonderful group of elders that watch out for me and I recieve a lot of my input from books that I read. -Karl