Monday, July 16, 2007

A Taste of the Empty Nest

I just returned from dropping the boys off at Bethel for a week-long basketball camp. This means that for the next few days it will be just the two of us...at home...alone. When was the last time that happened? I guess it was about sixteen years ago.

On my way home I started thinking about the different seasons of life that we have gone through. We were married for seven years before we had our first child. We spent time with Youth With a Mission. We led small group Bible Studies. We led an outreach to Mexico. We worked. We ran a marathon.

Then we had our first child. In some ways, it was like throwing an anchor overboard. Life came to a screeching halt and began revolving around a person that weighed less than 10 pounds. Diapers, feedings and walks through the neighborhood became the norm. We were home more on the weekends and were more regular in our church life. We led a small group Bible Study. We discovered that babies are wonderful ways to meet people and develop friendships that lead to spiritual conversations.

Over time, that "anchor rope" has lengthened. I think the first time I noticed it was the morning that we laid in bed listening to our oldest serve himself breakfast. The night before we had put the cereal on the table and a cup of milk in the refrigerator. What a blissful few moments that was as we listened to him serve himself breakfast all by himself! The kids were becoming a little independent and our stage in life was changing. Soon it was filled with school and sports activities in addition to work and church. We've continued to lead small group Bible studies and be involved with church (especially now that I am a pastor). Now we coach or sit in the stands and cheered as our kids play sports. We have developed friendships with the parents of our kids friends and had some great conversations about the Lord in the process. As they grew, and the anchor rope lengthened, we were able to do new things. My wife was able to spend three weeks helping with Katrina relief. I was able to go to Brazil on a missions trip.

Today I think was like that first breakfast. It's a glimpse of what is to come. The anchor rope is going to be untied one day. The oldest has his driver's license and a job. The youngest is not far behind. In fact, I now look my youngest eyeball to eyeball. His feet are bigger than mine. It won't be long until they are gone. It's kind of sad, but exciting at the same time. I wonder what the empty nest stage will be like.

I guess I will ask the questions that have guided my life so far. "What does God want me to do?" "What will bring him the most glory?" "How can I best encourage and equip other believers?" "How can I develop relationships with non-Christians that will lead to opportunities to share the gospel?" The answers will probably be different as an empty nester, but I hope my passion for serving the Lord will never diminish. He's really been the only constant in my life. (My wife comes a close second).

Sometimes people ask me about "retirement." I honestly don't understand the idea of simply sitting on the porch and drinking lemonade as the final years of life roll by. Somehow, I think that I won't ever really "retire." That stage in life will just have different answers to the questions that I have always asked myself. There are too many people to reach and too little time to do it in to simply kick back and coast to the finish line.

Well, that's all for now. I'm having dinner with my best friend who happens to be the most beautiful woman in the world. She's making a special dinner... for just the two of us.

No comments: