Thursday, July 5, 2007

A Nashwauk 4th of July

There are a variety of images floating in my brain after this year's 4th of July Celebration. The contrast in these mental pictures is incredible and has given me a lot to think about.

The Laughter of Friends. This is a good place. Over the years that I have lived here I have developed some great friendships. As I wandered around town the last couple of days and enjoyed a 4th of July BBQ I was a bit overwhelmed by the number of people that I knew and cared about. For someone who grew up in the city, the "small town" experience is amazing...and very good.

The Staggering Drunk. As I was walking back to the car after the fireworks, I noticed a man weaving up the street with a can of Coors in his hand. I wondered how he was going to make it home. I wondered how life was going for him. What was his story? And more than that, how could we reach him with the love of Christ?

A Pink Float. The Hardys and their friends put together a wonderful float. It was good to see the support and some of the people from the church helping out with it. As the Hardys walk through this experience of cancer they are never far from my prayers. I am continually amazed by them. I am also incredibly proud of the way the people of Nashwauk Alliance have tried to support them through this trial.

10 Trillion Nanometers. What a great morning for a 10k run! I ran it faster than I thought I would and had a wonderful time. Not only that, but it was a good opportunity to rub shoulders with fellow runners and try to develop some relationships with people outside of my normal circle of friends. As a pastor, I spend a lot of my time around church people and need to find more ways to spend time with others who aren't a part of NAC.

The Three Teens. Walking back from the fireworks I briefly followed a trio of teens. One of them asked the other two (who were obviously a couple) if they were going back to her house to "get it on". The female half of the couple responded that her parents would be home soon and they would probably have to use the car. My heart broke for them. We live in a society that has lost all understanding of what God intended...and intended for good. These teens are living in rebellion against God, endangering themselves physically and destroying themselves emotionally and spiritually. Lord, use us to reach them!

A Great Northern FallFest Float. Well, not a float, but a shiny new pick-up truck and decorated with a banners and playing great music. What a great job everyone did! We passed out 1500 fliers advertising the FallFest and could have easily passed out twice as many. The responses of people who looked at the fliers was exciting! They couldn't believe that there was going to be people like Diamond Rio, Ricky Skaggs and TFK coming for free concerts. What a great chance to get the word out. Personally, I was a little concerned about participating after running in the 10k race. My legs were tired and physically I just wanted to sit. Bob really encouraged me though (Heb. 10:24) and I am glad he did. I discovered that walking the Nashwauk parade route doesn't take nearly as long as watching the parade! Thanks, Bob!

The Incredible Ides. I usually don't stop at concert after the fireworks, but this year I simply had to because I knew some of the members of the band. It blew my mind to see the principal of Conner-Jasper Middle School (who always wears a suit and is fairly formal in the school setting) up on stage belting out a James Brown tune. It made me wonder about the hidden talents of the people of church. How many talents do we have that God wants us to use to bless others and build his kingdom?

The Fireworks. Nashwauk does a great job with the fireworks each year. Can anyone watch fireworks without The Star-Spangled Banner going through there heads? As I watch the "rockets red glare" I cannot help but think about the wonderful country we live in and the price that has been paid and is being paid for our freedom. A big part of that freedom is the freedom to worship and the freedom of speech. May we use both to glorify the Lord!

No comments: