Friday, July 13, 2007

Up, Down, North, South, East or West

When we were first married, Janet and I went to a Keith Green memorial concert. I was stunned to find a friend of mine there. We had grown up a few houses away from each other. When we got to high school, we ran with different circles of people. He was definitely into the party/drug scene, while I hung out with my friends from the youth group. I had never shared the gospel with him. I figured that there was no way he would be interested. Frankly, I was afraid of what his reaction might be if I had brought up church or the Lord. As far as I could tell, he was a "lost cause."

I hadn't seen him since I had gone off to college, and now here he was telling me that not only had he become a Christian, but he was heading off to the mission field!

It was one of the first times I had really understood that this whole evangelism thing is not so much about me sharing the gospel as it is the fact that God is at work around us. In fact, I believe that one of the biggest reasons that we hesitate to share the gospel is that we don't see the big picture. We forget that God is at work in the lives of the people around us. He is the one convicting of sin, revealing the gospel and drawing people to himself. We are simply an important part of the process.

This week we are going to look at Psalm 107 (find it here). This psalm helps us see that the Lord is working in lives in order to establish a relationship with them. He is in charge of their circumstances, bringing them to a place of acknowledging him. He is working to become their salvation and redemption. Some of the people are now caught up in pursuing money, others are in bondage to drugs or alcohol, still others are openly scoffing at the idea of God. The Lord wants us to know that He is working in their lives. He is preparing them so that they will be open to hearing the gospel.

Your friends are not lost causes. God has undoubtedly orchestrated your friendship so that your life can be a constant witness to your friend. The Lord is going to give you windows of opportunity to share your faith and the message of the gospel. God is at work...and he wants to use us.

Isn't that a thrill?

No comments: