Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Mourning the Packer Loss

It's taken a while, but I am finally able to talk about the Packers loss in the NFC Championship game. It's hard to get so close to the Super Bowl and lose. The Packers haven't done that very often, especially on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field.

So how do I cope? First, I watched the Packers play the Patriots in the Super Bowl. That's right, the Packers and the Patriots in the Super Bowl. The Packers won! I know, it was a few years ago, but at least I know what the outcome of a Green Bay/New England Super Bowl clash would have been if we had beat the Giants.

Second, I cope by asking all of the Vikings fans that needle me how their team fared and whether they have a copy of the Vikings Super Bowl victory. That usually shuts them up, but some Vikings fans are pretty well beyond hope of reasoning with about the superiority of the Packers.

Finally, I ask myself the big "Why?" question. For me, I don't understand why the Packers kept running screen plays that never worked. It didn't seem like they gained more than 4 yards total on about a dozen screen plays. Did they run them because they were "in our game plan"? Or was it because "We like them"? Or was it because "We always run screen plays"?

That made me wonder about the things in my life that I am doing that aren't producing the results I want. There are some things I do over and over that aren't accomplishing anything and may actually be taking me away from where I want to get to. I do them because "I planned them" or "I like to" or "I always do that". Pretty dumb reasons to do something that doesn't work. It might even cause me to miss my goal altogether.

Which leads me to the moral of this post: Before you criticize the Packers, take a long look in the mirror!

No comments: