Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

Some people have long lists of resolutions that they intend to keep over the coming twelve months. My wife and oldest son are going to try to go sugar-free for the entire year. Of course, that's a resolution that is going to affect other people. My youngest and I are wondering (worrying?) how long their resolve will last and whether their will every be cookies in the cookie jar this year. Perhaps the fact that we still have a cookie jar is a good sign.

Personally, I've decided that the "all or nothing" resolutions don't really work that well for me. I get too discouraged when I fail. I'm going to try to "tweak" things instead. So, here's my list:
  • Be more encouraging. I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't like to be sincerely encouraged about something they are doing. I'm surrounded by people who are doing some pretty incredible things. I need to let them know what I think about them more often.
  • Look for the potential in people. I want to focus more on what people can become. Instead of "getting to know people" and leaving it at that, I want to see the potential of the people around me. I want to help the people around them become what God has designed them to be.
  • See the opportunities in the situations I'm facing. I'm sure that this year will bring challenges. Instead of being overwhelmed or sulking about them, I want to see the opportunities that each one represents. For example, in the building project at church there is going to be a lot of sweat equity put in. I want to see it, not as a ton of work, but as a chance to spend time deepening relationships, making new friends and maybe learning some new skills.
  • Become more focused in my use of time. I'm not quite sure how to do this yet, but I sense that I need to do a more efficient job in using my time.
  • Lose the holiday weight! Like many people, I overindulged during the holidays. I need to return to healthy eating and the weight should come off. Swear off sugar for a year? No. Moderation in eating? Yes.

So that's it. I suppose that the highly goal-oriented people among us would point out that four out of the five resolutions cannot be measured, but that's fine with me. I figure that if I can make progress on the first four I will be a greater blessing to the people around me. If I can achieve the last one, I'll probably live longer. I think that's a good thing. I hope you do, too.

No comments: